Sunday, August 20, 2006

4 Years Ago..

I must apologize sincerely to Syikin n Shami for making them worry of my absence since my last entry..i was away doing the splashing thing again..escaping the notorious heat of istanbul..shami..i do not have an internet connection there. Hence, my inability to blog from there..and Yes.. i am back..i would say Sapanca season is over now....or maybe this weekend will be our last visit? i am not sure...

but more or less....We r back today since there is a doa...majlis tahlil at baba's house for the late (arwah Anne) who left us tomorrow..4 years ago. I have my birth mom in Malaysia. Alhamdulillah she is still alive. But this second mom i had gotten to know for a very short time in turkey... my mother in law is just as important to me as my own mom...

This is an entry i had written on

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

When i came to istanbul, i had no idea of whatever..i was clueless of the customs, the norms, the way of behaving, ...clueless in all sense. Cooking for example was one of it...Actually the biggest problem of all for me. No 1: Did i know how to cook? NOPE! No 2: Have i actually cooked at all in the real sense all my life? Let just say cooking rice using the rice cooker was among the cooking i actually had done. I thought i would learn cooking before getting married. My mom is a wonderful cook. I thought I would learn from her.

And suprise suprise.. not only did i not know how to cook Malaysian food.. i got married to a total stranger with a totally different food culture!! Great move simah!! *chuckles*. As i said, I was clueless of cooking turkish food. After I came to turkey, everyday, we ate at anne. I did not cook anything. That was the time I was starting to be exposed to the type of cooking and the type of vegetables I never knew existed.Thru halil as my translator, I asked everyone..especially anne of the recipes of whatever i ate.

After the honeymoon, I started to experiment with cooking..(I cut my hand that first time cooking and that news spread everywhere!! hehehe the new bride is starting to cook!! hahah)...Yenge and yenge (muyessa and mahtura) were great help since they live the levels below me (level 2 and level 3) .

Cooking..yes i was learning. But did i cook ? I suppose so..everyday. But where did we eat most days?? At Anne's of course!! There I was, a new bride, sharpen ing my cooking skill...cooking at home and still eating at anne!! It was a real wonder that anne never told his son to dump me hehehehe.. The truth is anne cooked a lot everyday..Anne and kerim (he was unmarried at that time)..together as a team, they cooked enough to feed an army! I think her way of thinking was...*at any time, any of my sons and their families may turn up for dinner. So i better be prepared*...and yup, she did!! everyday!! ..And I took advantage of that. Not everyday of course..but too often enough.. I wanted to get used to her cooking actually. I wanted to actually learn how the taste of her cooking would be. (For 3 years?? hahaha simah) It was important for me coz halil grew up with her cooking. To cook differently would mean to challenge his tastebud and he might not like it.

7 months after our marriage, i got pregnant...still we ate there..and then when hatice was only 5 months old, i got pregnant again with baddin..With hatice everyday crying wanting to go to her babaanne (over there she had fun since her mese hala was always there as well entertaining her), we took the advantage of dining there as well....Dont get me wrong, i cooked at home..but somehow it felt just nicer to eat at anne. Like i said, not everyday but very often enough.

And all those while... she never say any bad things to me directly..no complaining like...*go eat at ur own home* or *what kind of a bride are you?*.. nope..she never did. Even if she did say, i would have deserved it totally. But she never did.

When i told her about my feelings on this (that was i think a year before she died)..about me always dining at her....she just told me *Estaghfirullah yavru
m...ben çocuklara birlikte mutlu oluyorum* (I am happy when i am with my children).

Halil and I were also like her second shadow.. where ever anne and baba were, We would be there too.. we even went on vacation together!! (poor anne!! hehhe) After all, halil is her youngest boy..anne's little boy cannot be separated from his mommy hehehe


Now that i think about it, i am glad I dined too often at anne.. I am glad halil and I were following where ever she was like a shadow..I am glad for what i did though treating her house like a restaurant was wrong ( That i do have to admit). I had only almost 3 years to get to know her..and for that short years, she had made a great impact on me. And just think of the impact she had and has on those who have known her all their lives..

My only regret is...when i was in the kitchen talking to her one day..i had wanted to tell her this..but my language was weak at that time..i could not utter what was on my mind...What i wanted to tell her was...


*Anne senin hakkın helal olsun*
(Anne halalkan segalanya)

I know it is too late. But with every doa i sent her, I prayed that Allah will also send her this one message.. This one message the living anne never did hear from me..

This is a song written by halil dedicated to anne...a song to express his sorrow ..


******Al-fatihah******


Kan dondu beynimizde
Yağmurlara yenildik
Boynumuz kıldan ince
Mevlamiza yöneldik

Son bir kez baktı bize
O gözler inci badem
Ateş düştü yüreğimize
Ağladı cümle alem

Gözyaşı karıştı sellere
Benzerdin gonca güllere
Bırakmazdık seni ellere
Emir büyük yerden gelmese

Çok sevildim şu dunyada
Bu ne hazin elveda
Ansizin gitmek var mıydı?
Ayrılmak kolay mıydı?

******Al-fatihah******


14 Comments:

Blogger Queen Of The House said...

Simah, you did the right thing. Getting familiar with your mother-in-law's cooking was the best way to learn about your husband's food preferences. I am sure she was a great cook and you were a fast learner. It is also amazing how, once married, we manange to transform ourselves into 'cooks' despite being hopeless know-nothings before that. (Heheh, I am talking from experience also).

May she rest in peace. I am sure dia dah halalkan semuanya. She sounds like such a wonderful person.

And the gravestone .... is it over something like a family vault? Sebab ada banyak nama atas the gravestone.

5:24 AM  
Blogger Mama Rock said...

Al-fatihah....

6:12 AM  
Blogger Lollies said...

I respect you for taking all these in the best manner. and I am so jealous that you can cook Turkish food. Yum yum.

I personally think Anne is more than glad that you are there even if not everyday. I felt that was the happiest moment for her.

8:22 AM  
Blogger simah said...

Queen of the house

*chuckles* u too?? yes. i think we amazed ourselves huh? i would say it has got to do with the survival...mati la kalau kita tak belajar masak lepas kawin... heheh

Anne is a wonderful person...i feel so honoured to be able to get to know her..

the gravestone is the family gravestone..yup...something like a family vault..

in turkey, land is rare..not like malaysia..so for each family surname..for example the zaim family, there r 3 gravestone like that near to each other. Each grave is being recycled..once in every 5 years...hence the 3 graves..that particular grave in the picture for instance was where the bodies of 3 people laid..mehmet zaim (baba's dad), saime zaim (baba's mom) n ülya zaim (baba's wife aka anne)..so if i die, u can guess that my grave will be something like this.. :0)

mama rock
Amin..

lollies
come to turkey ..let me cook u turkish food :0)

for that latter comment..i really hope u r right...at least my wishful thinking is that...thanks for those kind words..

8:58 AM  
Blogger simah said...

i luıpa pulak nak cakap..a few years back there were talks about buat each grave bertingkat tingkat...mcm duduk rumah flat..hehehe

9:00 AM  
Blogger sue said...

Simah,its all about learning process, mula2 memang susahkan..but now you are a great cook sampai Hatice n Baddin berebut u punya kofte :-)

Al-Fatihah to Anne, its was a short memorable period with Anne I guess.

10:05 AM  
Blogger Alinlai said...

al-fatihah to Anne
erk...kubur bertingkat2 tu dekat Manila ada, dlm kubu askar...kat sana pun nak buat macam tu juga?

10:07 AM  
Blogger Kaklong Syikin said...

la..rupanya tak abih holiday lagilah ya..hehe.

InsyaAllah, dia dah lama halalkan segalanya. saya rasa arwah lagi gembira simah jadi menantu dia sebab simah tak bawak lari anak dia. maksud saya, halil sentiasa berada di samping dia wlwpun dah kawin ngan Simah.

al-Fatihah utk arwah

3:17 PM  
Blogger simah said...

sue..
i think that day was the case of me too less feeding the kids tu yg berebut köfte tu heheheheh zavallı çocuklar..poor kids..underfed children hahahaü

yeah..it was a short but definitely memorable..


alinlai
entah la alin..hopefully depa tk buat..tapi bila pikirkan balik..cuba bayangkan bila mati..i tingkat atas, halil tingkat bawah hehehe not that it will make much difference bila kena soal dengan malaikat la kan?


syikin..
abis tu yg anak dia bawak lari i dari mak i tu syikin?? *wink*

thanks for the fatihah..

3:28 PM  
Blogger Izhal said...

ah you're back :)

Alfatihah is never too late :)

I bet its still hot there, not??? Going back splashing soon???

5:29 PM  
Blogger Mama Sarah said...

queen is definitely a wise woman! apa dia kata semuanya 'berbutir'.

anyway simah, i've read that entry previously, it made me cry. Baca sekali lagi pun nangis satu round lagi. isykh...

Apa syikin ckp tu pun betul. tapi hang kata "anak dia bawa lari simah dari your mum". hehehe.. i pun tergelak baca tu. betul juga kan?

tapi i'm sure you were joking. i pun selalu kena ingatkan diri i sendiri yang tempat isteri yang baik ialah disisi suaminya kan?

tapi kengkadang, i do feel i want my family badly too. waaaaaaa~aaa

5:31 PM  
Blogger Kak Teh said...

i never got to know my Mum in law as she passed away a long time before we got married. But am sure she had some wonderful recipes too. Anyway, AlFatehah to yours and may she rest in peace.

8:32 PM  
Blogger simah said...

izhal
it is much too hot here n worse of all for one n a half days starting tomorrow morning, ada water supply cut...uwaaaaaaa...kena pi mandi kat rumah pak mentua la mcm ni hehehehe n the worse part is.. holiday in sapanca is almost over...

mama sarah
i remember u cakap u cried baca that anne dedication week a few months ago heheheh..laaa dah baca takkan dok nangis lagi? lawak la u ni..

betul mama sarah..dia bawak i lari pi turki hehehe ..kan best kalau the condition is the other way around..let him feel how it feels to be away from home..

but like u said..we do what we must to be a good wife kan? rindu kat family dari jauh jer la yea kita.....

kak teh
and Al fatihah to urs as well..Al fatihah kepada semua yg telah pergi....termasuk *kakak*..

i am still quite lucky though sebab anne punya right hand kerim ada..so i can always ask the recipe from him..

10:59 PM  
Blogger Queen Of The House said...

Ish Mama Sarah ... buat I tersipu malu!!

Simah, lupa pulak ... nak request you translate apa yang Halil tulis tu.

5:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

[BollediSapone] Graphics Link